Wednesday 2 December 2009

Ricky Gervais "Science" - A review

Ricky Gervais' latest stand up owes little to it's title "Science", very little.
By his own admission, any link to the moniker is tenuous, and only the Frankenstein insignia and gloriously elaborate set design makes any more than a nod to it.
If you were to guess at a title, you would probably pip for "religion" or "controversy" as Gervais navigates through subject matter such as Noah's Ark, censorship and Britain's Got Talent, his observations barbed and gasp inspiring.
He sets the tone, emerging on a Segway, a pre-cursor to another main talking point, his comically inflated ego.
"There's a recession on. Apparently. Someone told me".
And, how his ego would have swelled as the packed audience at Sheffield's Irwin Mitchell Oval Hall lapped up his show with rapturous laughter and adoration.
Ever the showman, Gervais shoe horns in a Ken Dodd impression, a joke of such controversial tone I couldn't possibly repeat, and anecdotes that will delight his fans, and undoubtedly cause unrest among the more sensitive observer.
Well into the tour run, the material seems fresh and as funny to him as the moment he conceived it.
Now a fully fledged icon, it is difficult to judge the humour on it's own merits. As he appeared above me in my meticulous, Row A seats, I am instantly impressed by his presence and the show is over and wrapped before you can truly absorb the spectacle.
Side achingly funny are his sections regarding quotations: "I have nothing to declare but my genius" will resonate with anyone who has seen it, as will his trawl through a a Sunday School text book.
Most impressive, however, are the moments when Ricky threatens us with seriousness. His impassioned lecture on censorship and the unapologetic nature of comedy are inspired, and bang on the money. His usual atheist rants are becoming tightly scripted and impressively convincing. Of course, all of these heady sections are punctured by humour, and you're never far away from a belly laugh.
Of the shows few let downs, the structure is perhaps the most glaring. So charismatic and archetypal is Gervais, that an evening bathing in his anecdotes and trademark cackle are a joy, but I wonder how this sense of "event" will transfer to the small screen, with the inevitable DVD release.
Ricky, himself, reminded us that the show evolves throughout the tour:
"Some of this material will be exclusive to you. But as I'd have cut them out before the next show, they will be the shit bits".
I only hope he finds a neater direction than the enjoyably chaotic presentation he enthralled the Sheffield crowd with.
A quick mention must go to support act, Stewart Francis, who was a massive hit in his role as warm up act. His stream of one liners had us laughing and groaning in equal measure. I am particularly fond of his zinger: "I quit my job at the helium factory. Nobody speaks to me in that tone!"
Gervais' latest is a success, albeit one that will divide, possibly alienate the non-diehards, and will almost definitely draw complaints from some quarters.

1 comment:

  1. Incidentally, he seemed to like US as much as we liked HIM:

    From his blog (Link on Right Hand Side of this site):
    OK. We have a new leader. Sheffield was the best crowd so far. I enjoyed every single second of the gig. The actual venue may have had something to do with it as I think it is perfect for comedy and the atmosphere was lovely, but for what ever reason, it's my favourite gig on this tour.

    Maybe it's that Christmas feeling. I was thinking back trying to decide my favourite on the Fame tour and I think it's probably Sheffield or Britsol. Manchester and Brighton were great but arenas never feel as warm as Victorian theatres. I think Glasgow, Edinburgh and Dublin were best on Politics. Am I boring you? I thought you liked nerdy lists? Oh fuck you then.

    ReplyDelete