Saturday 26 December 2009

Guitar prodigy JUSSJEF, interviewed by James Cox


Guitar prodigy JUSSJEF, interviewed by James Cox

YouTube celebrities are a modern phenomenon, allowing potential artists to reach an audience on their own terms, with just hard work and a camcorder.
Of course, this ease of self publication has left social networking sites saturated with wannabe superstars, each with the necessary self belief, but often lacking the all important “talent” factor.
Some, however, break through the mist of mediocrity with pure, glimmering star quality. They can be identified by their astronomic hit rate and five star endorsements.
A little while ago I stumbled across JussJef, a.k.a. the singing guitar.
Jef is a 23 year old guitarist from L.A. with a precocious talent and a rapidly growing fan base pushing him toward inevitable stardom.
He creates instrumental renditions of RnB, soul, and hip hop classics from artists as varied and prestigious as Etta James, Beyoncé and Kanye West.
His technical ability is shrouded in undeniable soul and feeling, and every video that emerges on his self styled site jussjeff.com is laden with the unpolished potential of a future star.
From his medley tributes to Michael Jackson, his immaculate rendition of Next’s “Too Close” and his musical tour through the works of Kanye West, his ability to showcase his capacity as a guitarist without dampening the heart of the music is both thrilling and impressive.
After months of admiring his work, I managed to catch up, for an exclusive interview, with the man who is making the guitar sing, to ask about his plans and dreams in light of his blossoming popularity.


How would you describe your "sound"? Who are your major influences?


It's hard to say what my sound is like. A lot of music (not just limited to guitarists) have had an influence on my playing. I did follow certain guitarists like Clapton, Hendrix, Santana, George Benson, Prince, Wes Montgomery, Slash, and Brian Setzer. Lately, I've been influenced by gospel/session guitarist like Charlie Bereal, Paul Jackson Jr, Jubu Smith, Tim Stewart, Jairus Mozee, and Eric Walls.
My guitar playing had a lot of influence by Motown, Michael Jackson, Hall and Oates, Chicago, Earth Wind and Fire and a lot of pop music. One thing I try to do with my guitar playing is be "musical" in the sense that I am playing music that pleases the ear and not necessarily is a display of technical ability. That's why I play in a finger style when I cover songs on guitar because I want to recreate that feeling people get when they hear the original song. So I play the vocals along with the backing rhythm and bass so when I play, you know exactly what I am playing without me having to sing out the words. I sing the song through my guitar.


How long have you been playing the guitar? When did it become more than a hobby for you?

Roughly on and off for about 12 years. I played in a jazz band a bit in middle school and early in high school, but I never learned how to read notes. When I got to college, I decided to play some talent shows, and I placed a few times then I just started winning all of them. I then decided to post a video in the summer of '08 just to see how many views I would get. It shot up quickly so I started doing more and more videos and that's how it all started.


So you could say you’ve found your calling?


Absolutely. Whether it be doing solo work or working and composing for other artists, as long as I am able to play guitar and make a good living doing it, I am on board.

What can you tell me about your instruments? (Are you subject to brand loyalty? What made you choose the instruments you have now?

Initially, I really didn't have a preference. As long as it had 6 strings and it stayed in tune, I was good to go. I didn't even know about Martin acoustic guitars until I was surprised on my 22nd birthday by family and friends who used a group gifting site called eDivvy.com to pitch in and get me a new acoustic. So far, Martin is probably my favourite acoustic and it does help that one of my idols (Clapton) uses it too. As far as Electric guitars go, I favour Fender Stratocasters. They are comfortable, versatile in sound, and they look sleek -- Hendrix, Clapton, SRV used them for a reason. However, my preference would probably change though if another guitar company decided to sponsor me.

Are you a fan of effects units, or more natural sounds? Do you work on the particular "sound" of a song as well as the physical melody? I.e., try different effects, instruments?

I wasn't too crazy with effects growing up. I used like two effects (Morley Wah peddle and a generic distortion peddle). Once I started getting serious about playing, I started researching different effects like flangers, chorus, and delay peddles. I found this one boss pedal that had both a delay and a loop function. Now I use it more for looping than anything. Aside from that, I try not to get too distracted with effects or sounds and concentrate on the actual playing. When I cover a song, I do try recreate almost the exact melody and beat throughout the song. To me, that's more important than using effects.


Where have you performed? What are your favourite and least favourite venues? Do you have any upcoming shows?


I did a few local talent shows near my college (California State University, Los Angeles -- CSULA) and I played at a few Gospel gigs. Aside from the Diddy "Making his Band" TV show, the biggest thing I have probably done was the Pan-African Graduation at my college in '08. I had to play "Lift Every Voice" on acoustic guitar in front of 2,000 people at the Pasadena Civic Center. I play a lot at local restaurants and bars in Southern California, like Cozy's in Sherman Oaks or Up n Smoke BBQ in Fontana.


How do you start formulating new tracks? Do you hear something you like then sit obsessively for a week until its right?


It depends. I could initially figure out the basic melody and chords of a song within minutes depending on how many changes there are in the song. The more time I give to listening and playing a song, the more I pick up and improve on it. For example, when I posted my cover of Lil Wayne's "Lollipop" back in '08, I had just learned that song two days prior to recording it. It sounded good despite some flaws but if I was to cover it today, I would kill that version.



Do you ever play any original music, or do any writing?


Yeah. I've composed some original stuff and did some original work in studio for some people. I don't know how to read notes and I never took music theory but I've covered so many songs and listened to so many different types of music that I got an idea on how to put certain chords together to construct a song.


What's your ultimate direction for your act? Are you seeking fame and fortune?


I would like to continue doing acoustic renditions and originals but I also am interested in playing with bands and session work. If fame and fortune comes? Cool. If not, that's ok too. As long as I am making a great living doing something I enjoy doing and I happen to be good at, that is success in my book.


What advice do you have for budding musicians?


Stay grounded and stay hungry. Always have the desire to learn and improve. You can't get any better at your craft if you already think you mastered it.


What are your interests outside of music?

I love boxing. That is a sport that evokes almost as much emotion as music. Anything can happen in boxing. If a basketball game has one team ahead of another team by 30 points with 5 seconds remaining, it's a wrap. In boxing, one fighter could have gotten his ass whooped from pillar to post the whole fight and be down on the scorecards and score the KO punch at the very last second of the final round to flip a likely defeat into a dramatic victory. No other sport gets me pumped up like boxing.


How can fans-to-be gain access to your music? Do you have a website with sample songs or a demo CD?

Aside from my website which has the mp3 of the Kanye West Medley, I haven't made any in studio recordings. I am in the process of making an album with covers and some originals. I am just working on the legal issues involved with covering and selling other artists songs.


Any plans to come to the UK or do any travelling?


Hopefully my guitar playing will allow me to travel the world. I would love to visit the UK.


Is there anyone you'd like to acknowledge for offering financial or emotional support?

My cousin, Camille Alcasid, and especially my 3 older sisters, Erika, Reena, and Jill. They all played a role in the development of who I am as a person.

Any last words?

I just want to thank everyone who has been supportive of the work I've done with my guitar.



Become a fan at Jussjef.com
Exclusive interview By James Cox

No comments:

Post a Comment